Wednesday, August 10, 2016

0001 COTIJUBA ISLAND WEST COAST
PART 3
ARRIVING IN THE ISLAND

As I arrived, I climbed a metal ramp leading up to the covered way of a long pier. As I looked back from the structure, I took picture one, where you can see both types of boats serving the route. The larger and the smaller (the po-po-po).



 The larger boat docking at Cotijuba Island.
A po-po-po boat on the foreground and islands in the background
As I walked on the pier, I looked to my right and took another photograph. The tide was low and a po-po-po lay on the muddy shore. People unfortunately throw tires around! Or have they fallen off the boats?
Po-po-po boat on the southern shore of the Island

Anyway, I walked on. In the initial part of the island, you see the usual vendors, selling local dishes. One of them is the Tacacá, which is some sort of a soup, consisting of jambu (a native variety of paracress), tucupi (a broth made with wild manioc) and shrimps. The dish is served extremely hot in a half calabash. My lips burned with the pepper and the numbing effect of the jambu leaves. Then I set out for the walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment