Tuesday, October 4, 2016

0001 COTIJUBA ISLAND WEST COAST
PART 5 (FINAL) FLEXEIRA, NOBODY’S LAND BEACH

I walked on to north for about a km, when I reached the last beach of this walk. It’s called Flexeira beach. It is virtually deserted, and people speak a lot about stingrays around here.

Initial and general view of flexeira beach

I was particularly astounded to envisage it’s natural beauty. Far ahead and halfway along the curve, one can see that the tide had flooded a section of it. The thought of having to cross a flooded area scared me. However, my curiosity overwhelmed me one more time. I started off along the hot blazing sand, wondering what thinks would be like at this stage. I was beginning to get tired. I sweated buckets, and humidity only seemed to increase, along with the wind.
A couple more meters ahead, I reached a creek which came along a dune, parallel to the shoreline. I then saw two riverboats down there.





Creek parallel to the shoreline

Two boats in the creek

The creek then curved towards the shore, and the dune followed it. The dune sloped abruptly towards the creek. I wondered if it would be a good idea, to climb it down and check. However, I didn’t know which kind of sand was that. Anyway, I marveled at the

Curve of the creek along the dunes

Then I reached an area of water, as a result of the high tide. I’ve always been afraid of entering most waters, but I really wanted to reach the northern part of the beach. I had come too far. It could be dangerous, but I had to try. So I entered the waters. There was endless 200 meters to be crossed. In the first 60 meters, the water was already up to my waist. I thought of coming back. But a feeling of duty kept me on the way. I felt vegetation on the bottom and sand. I thought to myself: it’s only higher water on the beach sand. However, as the water reached my chest, I began to wonder if it really would be possible to reach the other side. I still hadn’t  reached halfway. I waded on. I had to lift my backpack and tennis, which kept me from taking pictures. I should also mention the fear of the tide, which was still coming and rising.
I waded past submerged plants, and sometimes, their branches rubbed me on the legs and belly. Then, after about 100-120 meters, I almost stumbled on a higher submerged sandbank, which indicated me that I had finally reached shallower water.
I was also glad to know that it would be as shallow, all the way Just until the other side. As I finally got on dry land, I looked back and saw how far I had come. I couldn’t believe I had done it alone! I say, without any other human company!
  
View back on the area back, flooded by the tide, which I had just crossed
  
Phew!! I was relieved to be sound and safe. It took me precisely 20 minutes to wade across the flooded area. I then walked on. As I looked towards the inland, I noticed that some creek still accompanied me. This time, I didn’t dare cross it! Besides, I was getting hungry, and I didn’t want to stop at that stage.

Creek along the beach

Close to the northern end of Flexeira beach, a found an old boat under trees, where I could get some shadow. That’s where I decided to make a stop and picnic. I was glad to go up to that point. I thought of going further, to a beach called ‘Vai-quem-quer’, which means ‘goes who wants beach’. I just had one more mile ahead of me. However, I was fascinated with the Flexeira beach, and I ended up staying here for the afternoon, till is became less sunny, and temperatures dropped a little. I spend the late afternoon around this beach, bathing in the lagunes and lying down on the dunes.



Creek water, inviting for some rest and refreshment


View from the sand bank where I picnicked before walking back


The creek actually curved towards the shore, and it was shallow, allowing me to cross it. The was growing gentler, and I would have a look at the jungle, if I had more time, money, and supplies, of course. One can also take one of the lanes that go inland, up to the main road, where the tractor with wagon is supposed to pass. However, I would have to synchronize with that transport facility, and that could mean waiting somewhere, instead of moving around. Anyway, I decided to go all the distance, back again. At least it was no longer so hot!

Curve of the creek towards the shore

It was late afternoon, when I started off, back to the south.
I wanted to get the larger boat, but I don’t know if I would make it. However, once the larger boat was gone, I still could get a po-po-po-po boat, sailing back across the bay in the evening down to the nightfall.

Small creek winding up on the bay.

Despite is was the same way, I was glad to see it with another color and temperature. It’snot only the views which change in a trip, but also the climate, weather, temperature and nuances!


View back on the Flexeira Beach. Trudging back all the way!


In a giving point, I walked past some trees which had been leaned by the wind (I don’t know if my English is okay here: correct me if I’m wrong).

Tree inclined or ‘angled’ by the wing

I walked past other inclined trees, which sounded really surrealistic. The picture may sound as if it had been reedited, but nothing of that sort was done.

Trees inclined in a surrealistic way!

I then took a last view of this beach which I loved. I climbed a small sand hill, to do that.
Last view on the Flexeira beach
  
Then I walked a little further along the beach, to find some wooden stairs, leading to the lane on the upper part of the island.

Wooden stairs, leading to the lane on the upper side

I gave up, going by the beach, since I was almost in a hurry because of the boat schedule. That’s what made me climb the stairs and break into a stride, all the way to the south, down to the port.

view upwards to the wooden stairs

View downwards, from the top of the wooden stairs

Just then, it occurred to me: perhaps there are many of those stairs, and that could had saved me from wading across those apparently dangerous waters. Anyway, that is a reflection I could do on another walk someday on this lovely island. That’s all for this posting, folks. I hope it inspires other backpackers into going on walks across the islands around the Capital of the state of Pará, in the east of the Amazon region. Bye bye everybody!



After tide soil
THE END






No comments:

Post a Comment